Heat and Frost Insulators and Asbestos Workers apply all types of insulation and protective jacketing to HVAC Systems, Plumbing Systems, Boilers, Tanks, Vessels, etc.
Our work is usually done at Commercial Construction Sites such as schools, hospitals, casinos, etc. and Industrial Plants such as power houses, chemical plants and refineries.
Since our job sites can vary so much, so too can the working conditions. Such conditions include, but are not limited to working at height, off scaffolds, aerial lifts or ladders; in confined spaces, such as crawl spaces attics; outside in the cold and inside in very hot areas such as boiler rooms. Safety is the highest priority and all work will be conducted in a safe manner with all of the proper safety training and equipment provided, but it is construction work. Construction work that can be hot, dirty and strenuous. It is hard work and we are looking for hard workers.
Apprenticeship Training Program – 4-year Program
- Four years of school – Mandatory
- School year consists of 144 hours (576 total) – usually one night/ week for 36 weeks, September through May; four hours per night (5:30 pm.-9:30 pm.)
- 5600 over four years to graduate
On the Job
- Regular Work Week – Monday through Friday
- Regular Hours – 7:00am until 3:30 pm
- No paid time off
- You are never guaranteed 40 hours/week or 52 weeks/year – Layoffs are part of the Construction Industry
- No sick time or vacation time
- Must have valid Drivers’ License
- Must have reliable transportation. We cover a large territory, including 7 counties in New York and 3 counties in Pennsylvania. It is your responsibility to be at work and school, on time and ready to work.
- Apprentices must have their own hand tools. Average starter set about $200.00
- New apprentices must be drug tested.
- Many different jobsites will require their own drug testing.
Apprenticeship Recruitment Qualifications
Four years in the apprenticeship program. Starting wage is 50% of the journeyperson’s base wage $15.28 plus health insurance and pension.
Applications are distributed the 3rd Tuesday of every month between the hours of 2:00 P.M. and 6:00 PM. at the Union Office 2484 Seneca St. Buffalo NY. 14210
- Have a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a valid Drivers License
- Attest that he/she can physically perform the work
- Be a resident in the jurisdiction of Local #4
- Pass a drug screen test (at the expense of Local #4 after selection).
HOW THE PROCESS WORKS:
After the application is received, the applicant will be notified by mail of an interview with the JIT Committee and then points are awarded to each qualified applicant base on education, skills, experience and score on the interview.